Thursday, June 3, 2010

Things That Scare Me #1


When I was a child, my mother refused to go outside and get the laundry if there were birds by the clothes line. I could never figure out what seemed to be the issue as they seemed completely harmless to me. Sometimes she would be outside and the next thing I knew, she would be screaming, running and flapping her arms towards the house as though she was getting attacked. Finally, one day she told me the story: When she was a little girl, she was playing in the yard and a sick robin flew on her shoulder. It attached itself to her sweater and would not let go. My grandfather came out and was chasing my mother and this crazed Robin and swatting at it to get it off her shoulder. Once it fell off, it dropped dead.

This story never seemed to bother me as a child, but as I got older, I started thinking about it. I have now become afraid of crazed birds attaching themselves to me and not letting go. Thanks Mom! Once again, you have helped to shape me into the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment